From Center for Statistical Genetics
Visiting PhD Student
- BS (Hons), Health Biotechnology, University of Malakand, Pakistan, 2008-2012
- MPhil, Health Biotechnology, University of Malakand, Pakistan, 2013-2015
- PhD, Health Biotechnology, Abdul Wali Khan University, Pakistan, 2016-Present
HEC Fellowship under International Research Support Initiative Program (IRSIP), Pakistan
Research Title and Research Interests
- Human heart (cardiomyocytes and proteins)
- Identification and characterization of gene variants involved in Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) using Whole Exome Sequencing technique
- Environmental Factors involved in Dilated Cardiomyopathy (Metabolic disorders and DCM)
- Diagnosis and management of DCM (home remedies, cardiac bio-markers, medical and device treatment)
- Exclusion Studies of GJB2 gene in patients with Hearing Impairment using Sequencing Technique
- In-silico and Phylogenetic Analysis using various bioinformatic tools (including various Protein Modeling techniques)
- TORCH screen and TORCH Agents; (Toxoplasma gondii, Rubella virus, Cytomegalovirus and Herpes simplex virus), role in abortion
- Zoonotic Diseases; Epidemiology of Brucellosis in cattle and in-contact individuals in District Malakand, Pakistan
- Ms. Nadia Farooqi is enrolled as PhD scholar in Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan, Pakistan under the supervision of Prof. Syed Fazal Jalil, PhD in Immunogenetics and Human Molecular Genetics. Dr. Fazal was awarded HEC scholarship to work with Dr. Kamboh (Professor and Chairman) under NIH funded project at the Department of Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh, USA.
- Ms. Nadia is currently a Visiting PhD Scholar at Prof. Suzanne M Leal Lab, Center for Statistical Genetics where she will work on the Whole Exome Sequencing Analysis of Pakistani DCM families to find some interesting variants in DCM genes under the guidance of Prof. Isabelle Schrauwen. The following is a short list of her publications in which her main research focus is Genetic Disorders.
- Aftab Ali Shah, Nadia Farooqi, Hazir Muhammad and Murad Khan (2014) In silico MicroRNAs target identification within the GJB2 Gene. International Journal of Biosciences (IJB)4 (7): 38-49.
- Hazir Muhammad, Nadia Farooqi, Aftab Ali Shah and Ghulam Nabi (2015) An Overview of Brucellosis. American Research Thoughts1 (8).
- Aftab Ali Shah, Hazir Muhammad, Nadia Farooqi, Nigar Gul, Ayaz Ali Khan, Ghulam Nabi and Shah Nawaz Khan (2015) Association of TORCH Agents with Spontaneous Abortion in Patients with Bad Obstetric History. World Journal of Zoology10 (4): 291-294.
- Hazir Muhammad, Aftab Ali Shah, Ghulam Nabi and Nadia Farooqi (2015) Male infertility: Etiological Factors [A Review]. American-Eurasian Journal of Toxicological Sciences7 (2): 95-103.
- Nadia Farooqi*, Qayum Khan and Syed Fazal Jalil (2017) Review Studies of GJB2 gene in Patients with Hearing Loss in Pakistan. Journal of Molecular and Genetic Medicine 11:4.
- Diagnosis and Management of Dilated Cardiomyopathy (review in progress)
- Phylogenetic analysis of DCM gene in human and orthologous species using bioinformatic tools (in progress)
- Sero-prevalence of Brucellosis in cattle and in contact individuals in district Malakand, Pakistan (in progress)
Conferences, Worshops and Seminars attended
- Two Weeks Scientific Research Training in Shifa International Hospital, Islamabad in June 2012
- One Day Seminar on “Raising Awareness and Encouraging Students on Zoonotic & Environmental Diseases Research & Response” on May 7, 2014 organized by Scientific Society of Biotechnology, Department of Biotechnology, University of Malakand, Chakdara, Dir (L) in collaboration with Relief International under “Livestock for Life (LFL)” project
- 5 Days’ Workshop on Bio-risk Management on 24-28 October 2016 organized by Relief International
- 4th International Conference on Biological and Computer Sciences (C-BICS 2016) on 17th December, 2016 organized by Capital University of Science and Technology Islamabad
- 4th International Conference on Computational Biology and Genomics Sciences scheduled on 27-29 September, 2017 organized by Centre for Human Genetics Hazara University Mansehra
- Poster Presentation in International Conference on Trends and Prospects in Molecular Biosciences on 23-24 October, 2017 organized by Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology University of Punjab, Lahore Pakistan
- Poster Presentation in 1st International Conference on Advances in Drug Discovery and Development (ICAD3) held on 3-5 January, 2018 at NARC, Islamabad, Pakistan organized by Department of Biochemistry, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan (AWKUM)
- Oral Presentation in 1st International Conference on Recent Updates in Biotechnology (ICRUB-2019) held on 16-18 October, 2019 at Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad, Pakistan organized by Department of Biotechnology, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan (AWKUM)
- Address: 622 W. 168th St, 19th floor, New York, NY 10032
- Email: email@example.com